One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play.
So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave... don't worry, when you open that movie again it will resume at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume...
Other features of SMPlayer
- It can play and download Youtube videos. A Youtube browser is included, which allows to easily download Youtube videos too.
- Complete preferences dialog, where you can change the key shortcuts, colors and fonts of the subtitles, and many more.
- Support for skins and icon themes.
- Possibility to search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
- Filters. Many video and audio filters are available: deinterlace, postprocessing, denoise... and even a karaoke filter (voice removal).
- Seeking by mouse wheel. You can use your mouse wheel to go forward or backward in the video. The mouse buttons can also be customized.
- Video equalizer, allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and gamma of the video image.
- Multiple speed playback. You can play at 2X, 4X... and even in slow motion.
- Audio and subtitles delay adjustment. Allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Advanced options, such as selecting a demuxer or video & audio codecs.
- On your own language: currently SMPlayer is translated into more than 30 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese....
- Free and opensource. SMPlayer is under the GPL license.
- Compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008, Windows 7 and 8.
Changes in SMPlayer 0.8.5
- Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, smplayer couldn't find subtitles anymore. This has been fixed.
- The interface with support for skins is now the default.
- An option to enter url(s) in the playlist has been added.
- The options to change the size of the main window work now even if the autoresize is set to never.
- Two new options for Audio -> Stereo mode: Mono and Reverse.
- The option "Move the window when the video area is dragged" is now disabled by default because it has some issues that need to be addressed.
- New translation: Malay.
- Some configuration options are changed to new defaults after installation to ease upgrade from old versions.
SMPlayer 0.6.9.3615 beta
on 14 August 2011, reviewed by: Steve Kim
I do not recommend to use this player.
I tried to test and failed to download subtitle for a popular video title, but failed.
The sound codec is also no so good as other players.
I would recommend anyone to use Potplayer in which a lot of options are available per your preference.
on 18 January 2009, reviewed by: UKNews
Great front-end media player.
Highly suggested to any one fantastic with video:)
It opens video and audio files of virtuall any format.
Better than well-known MPC.
on 27 October 2008, reviewed by: djb
I didn't like this. It didn't play the files directly on command. It took seconds for it to try and open files. Most of my AVI files didn't open. Not a very well put together media player. Avoid this. I'm sticking with KMPlayer.
SMPlayer can also play, search and download Youtube™ videos. It uses the award-winning MPlayer as playback engine which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats.